Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunshine.
Solitude.
Beautiful scenery.
Cold lakes.
Warm nights.
Nearly full moon.
Fresh fish.
Tired feet.
Good company.
Great weekend.

The past three days I spent in Lakes Basin guiding a group of students from Rick's Outdoor Recreation Principles class on their annual backpacking trip.  Lakes Basin was the ideal place for this trip, not only because of its proximity to Quincy, but also because it gives the feeling of being in the high Sierras even though we are in the low Sierras.

My group consisted of six guys who, believe it or not, made my job easy.  During one of the planning sessions I asked them if they had any expectations or goals for the trip.  Without hesitation, Donnie piped up and said, "I just want to see you tired."  The others agreed, and at that moment I knew we would have a good time. 

For me, the most meaningful aspect of the trip was nothing that I did or accomplished, but rather what I observed.  I love the look in someone's eyes when they experience something for the first time.  There were skilled guys in my group, but for a few it was their first backpacking trip, first off trail hike, first night sleeping outside of a tent, first taste of fresh trout, first time standing on a Sierra peak.... and I'm sure there were more.  Those activities have been part of my life for so long, that I can sometimes lose a sense of appreciation.   Sharing in the new experiences of others helped renew my joy for activities that I had begun to make routine and take for granted. 

Here are a smattering of pictures from the weekend:


a cross country jaunt up to Mt. Elwell


Coty becoming acquainted
with the area


Long Lake

 
shoe blow-out.... time to bust
out the duct tape!


Donnie and Travis on the summit
of Mt. Elwell
 
Sierra Buttes in the horizon

Jamison Lake: 1st night's camp

a smidge shy of a full moon

the final scramble up Mt. Washington

Hunter, Connor and Zane doing
map and compass exercises
on  Mt. Washington


Wades Lake: 2nd night's camp
Zane out in the lake catching dinner

Sunday night was a fish feast
thanks to Zane

Coty doing the dirty work of gutting the fish

good morning.






"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth."  Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment