Tuesday, October 12, 2010

After five days of rain, give me a three day weekend topped with brilliant sunshine and I will do my best make the most of it.

This weekend was kicked off by being stranded on the side of the road with my thumb in the air, courtesy of a goat head.  That brings my flat tire count up to five for this fall semester.  I'm becoming an expert at patching tubes, so if you ever get a flat..... I'm your huckleberry.

Fortunately the flat tire wasn't an omen of what the remainder of the weekend would entail.  Friday afternoon our cross country team loaded up in a van and headed down to the valley for our first conference race.  The course we ran on was much more enjoyable than our first race.  Most of the mileage was on a dirt path cut through rolling hills that were dotted with oak trees.  The sun was going down while we were racing, which was not only refreshing, but it also created a golden glow on the grass as the light was diffused through the trees.  For the majority of the race I was alone, spaced between the front and rear packs.  I was able to zone out and forget that I was racing, which enabled me to enjoy the run. 

 ____________
  
Saturday morning I decided to pay a visit to a friend that I had shared many memories with this past year.  This took me in the direction of Lassen Volcanic National Park, specifically Mt. Brokeoff.  In the course of a year I found myself continually returning to that mountain, each time with different people on different adventures. 

I first made an acquaintance with Brokeoff last November during that time of limbo between fall and winter.  Ravi and I post-holed our way up to the summit right after the first snow of the season. It was a joy to see the sense of accomplishment written on Ravi's face, since that was his first time doing any snow-oriented recreation.  
11/13/09

My next encounter with the mountain was in February on our four day snow camping trip with Adventure Based Outdoor Rec.  I remember skiing in and digging our snow caves during almost-whiteout conditions.  The storm cleared the following day, leaving us with a fresh deposit of snow and glorious blue skies.  On the third day our entire class skied up to Brokeoff....you know.... just another day in school. 
 2/28/10

Two months later I took a mountaineering course, which set my eyes on Brokeofff once again.  This time we started at the crack of dawn and ascended with the aid of an ice axe and crampons. 
 4/17/10
  
Three different times of year, three different methods, three different routes.....why not make it four?  My relationship with Brokeoff would not be complete without hiking up the traditional summer trail.  So you see, it was more of a pilgrimage that I was making this weekend.  My feet felt liberated as I jogged through the forests of Red Fir and Mountain Hemlock on the trail that had been softened from the recent rain.  When I stood on the summit I felt like I was reunited with an old friend as we mulled over the memories we shared.   
 10/9/10

____________

Sunday afternoon Renee and I headed down into the canyon and did some climbing at Grizzly Dome.   Last month we made a commitment to become partners... climbing partners....that is.  We then decided to take our relationship to the next level, which led to us investing together in a rope.   Sunday marked a milestone for us, since it was our first climbing excursion on our own.  We were incredibly slow, taking extra time to double and triple check our systems.  We learned so much more by not having anyone to rely on and ask questions.  We are both excited to grow as climbers this coming year! I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.



____________

A thank you to Columbus is in order for Monday's adventure, as five of us descended 400' into the center of the earth.  Saylor made the most of the holiday and organized a FROG trip to a limestone cave above the Middle Feather, known as Little Volcano.  It is a challenging place to find even for those who have been there before, which makes getting to the entrance an adventure in and of itself.  Exploring Little Volcano had been on my to-do list for over a year; now it is another page in my chapter of life here in Plumas County.  
  
Saylor rappelling into the first large room


 Hunter descending into the final room

ascending into darkness

Owen and Saylor emerging from the cave

 ____________
 
I let out a sigh of satisfaction Monday night as I sat in the warmth of a crackling fire while eating dinner in good company.  It was the perfect cap to a fulfilling weekend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment